Our journey towards CO₂ neutrality
C.C.JENSEN is on the forefront of sustainability and has been since 2008, when we started our mission to become a CO₂ neutral company. The initiative is spearheaded by the top management, and it has grown to all corners of the company – both amongst administrative and blue-collar staff.
The sustainability strategy of C.C.JENSEN has three pillars: (1) our company, (2) our products, and (3) our customers. All scopes have an impact on the preservation of our globe, and we have a structured approach on how to achieve our CO₂ goal in all three scopes. Let’s dive into some more details of the three scopes.
The goal of C.C.JENSEN is to become completely CO₂ neutral. Since 2008 we have been working on reducing our CO₂ footprint in our own operation, focusing on our lowering consumption of electricity, heating & cooling, investing in renewable energy and converting to electric vehicles, changing employee behavior in the office, and implementing energy savings in their homes, converting fossil heat sources with sustainable sources, and reducing business travel significantly.
From 2008 to 2019 we were able to reduce our CO₂ footprint in this scope by 80%, which is a result of the combined effort of all employees headed up by an internal steering committee. Since 2021, CO₂ savings have been a part of the normal day-to-day operation of the company, and we will join the standardized Scientific Based Targets Initiative to make it easier for our customers to evaluate our effort.
The CJC® Oil Filters utilize many technologies to be sustainable and to save energy. Our CJC® Filter Inserts contains no metal, no plastic, and no chemicals, but are produced from a material with a low carbon footprint – namely wood cellulose. We have implemented energy saving motors on all CJC® Oil Filters that reduce power consumption with 35% compared to traditional motors. And finally, our CJC® Flow Drive (frequency converter) on the filters, make it possible to clean the oil without pre-heating it, which in turn saves a great deal of energy in many applications.
When using CJC® Oil Filters, a large amount of CO₂ is saved, because the oil lasts longer and the need for replacing with new oil is reduced. Components on our customers machinery also last longer, and there is less waste oil and less transportation need for oil and spare part replacements. Overall, this reduces CO₂ and all of these wins can be documented through a high number of customer cases and can therefore be taken into account by our customers in their sustainability reporting.
- In the Industry Segment, a quench plant can prolong oil lifetime by a factor two, saving a total of 11,500 T of CO₂ over a 10-year period.
- In the Marine Segment, implementing a CJC® Oil Filter instead of using centrifugal filters can save up to 1,680 T of CO₂ on a vessel over a 10-year period.
- In the Mining Segment, implementing a CJC® Oil Filter will save 75% of oil changes, equaling 2,846 T of CO₂ over a 10-year period.
- In the Power Segment, a gas turbine oil lifetime can be prolonged by a factor of three, saving a total of 216 T of CO₂ over a 10-year period.
- And in the Wind Segment, a CJC® Oil Filter will save at least one oil change in 10 years on each of the turbines with CJC® Oil Filter installed, giving a saving of 2 T of CO₂.
When all installations of a CJC® Oil Filter worldwide are considered, the total CO₂ savings on our customers’ sites exceed 500,000 T CO₂ over a 10-year period.