Transformers are the gateway of the power plant to the grid. The lifetime of a transformer is depending on the insulation paper, which de-polymerize over time. The lifetime of the insulation paper can typically be up to 50 years, but water, oxygen, acid and other catalysts will degrade the paper even faster. Therefore the oil in the transformer must be kept dry and clean and free from acids to ensure a long lifetime of the transformer.
The insulation paper contains several hundred times more water than the transformer oil, so humidity in the oil e.g. 30 ppm, can still mean 3% water in the paper, which can have severe effects. Water also reduces the dielectric strength of the oil, which can turn into a safety risk. If the transformer oil is not kept dry, clean and free from acids, you risk very expensive repairs of the transformer or replacements of the insulation paper, and downtime of the plant. If the transformer does not work, power is not delivered to the grid, and the risk of penalties arises.
Benefits, installing CJC® Oil Filters
- Protect your investment – extend transformer life with 10-20 years
- Optimise availability of the power plant
- Reduce risk of expensive transformer repairs
- Reduce risk of unplanned breakdowns, outages and penalties
- Reduced maintenance costs and safety risks
When you install a CJC® Oil Filtration solution on your transformer, you get an oil filter with excellent water and acid removal capabilities. This gives you cost savings and better reliability of the transformer. Technically, CJC® is known for keeping oil dry, clean, and without oxidation residues and acids, which is documented over many years and in several power installations. CJC® Oil Filter solutions are installed in many power plants worldwide, and when you choose CJC® Oil Filters, you ensure a long lifetime of the transformer insulation paper, reduce maintenance and you avoid unplanned breakdowns.
The optimum solution is to dry the transformer oil continuously, while it is in operation, and thereby slowly drying the paper. By doing that, the transformer life can be extended by 10-20 years. For transformer oil the following CJC® system solutions apply:
- Transformer Filter 1, HDU 27/108
- Transformer Filter 2, HDU 27/108 Multistay
- Transformer Filter 3, HDU 3x27/108 Acidity
The CJC® System solutions fit all sizes of transformers – new or old. And we can deliver globally where required. In close co-operation with technical organizations, we help select the most fitting solution depending on system type and conditions in the environment.
Learn how other customers benefit with CJC® – Click to download Customer Cases.
- Alstom Transformer 60 MVA_Power Supply_Transformer Oil_SNCF for RFF_French Railway_ASIN5143
- Generator Transformer_T08-15 MVA-53.9/5kV_De-gassing_Transformer Oil_Haflund Produksjon_ASIN5047
- Tap changer oil_Transformer tap changer_Iron Ore_ASIN5119
- Transformer Power Plant_Brush_Transformer Oil_Copenhagen Energy_ASIN5020